Courtesy of Wiki
Palm Springs is a desert resort city in Riverside County, California, United States, within the Coachella Valley. It is located approximately 55 mi (89 km) east of San Bernardino, 107 mi (172 km) east of Los Angeles, 123 mi (198 km) northeast of San Diego, and 268 mi (431 km) west of Phoenix, Arizona. The population was 44,552 as of the 2010 census. Palm Springs covers approximately 94 square miles (240 km2), making it the largest city in the county by land area.
Golf, swimming, tennis, biking, hiking and horseback riding in the nearby desert and mountain areas are major forms of recreation in Palm Springs. The city is also known for its mid-century modern architecture, design elements, and arts and cultural scene.
Palm Springs is a popular retirement destination, as well as a winter snowbird destination; during the winter months (November to March), the city's population triples.
A 1950s postcard publicizing one of the many hotels sprouting in Palm Springs during the early to mid-20th century
The city became a fashionable resort in the 1900s when health tourists arrived with conditions that required dry heat. Because of the heat, however, the population dropped markedly in the summer months.
In 1906 naturalist and travel writer George Wharton James' two volume The Wonders of the Colorado Desert described Palm Springs as having "great charms and attractiveness" and included an account of his stay at Murray's hotel.
As James also described, Palm Springs was more comfortable in its microclimate because the area was covered in the shadow of Mount San Jacinto to the west and in the winter the mountains block cold winds from the San Gorgonio pass. Early illustrious visitors included John Muir and his daughters, U.S. Vice President Charles Fairbanks, and Fanny Stevenson, widow of Robert Louis Stevenson; still, Murray's hotel was closed in 1909 and torn down in 1954.
Nellie N. Coffman and her physician husband Harry established The Desert Inn as a hotel and sanitarium in 1909.
It was expanded as a modern hotel in 1927 and continued on until 1967.
Coffman herself was a "driving force" in the city's tourism industry until her death in 1950.
James' Wonders of the Colorado Desert was followed in 1920 by J. Smeaton Chase's Our Araby: Palm Springs and the Garden of the Sun, which also served to promote the area. In 1924 Pearl McCallum (daughter of Judge McCallum) returned to Palm Springs and built the Oasis Hotel with her husband Austin G. McManus; the Modern/Art Deco resort was designed by Lloyd Wright and featured a 40-foot tower.
The San Jacinto Mountains border Palm Springs to the west.
The next major hotel was the El Mirador, a large and luxurious resort that attracted the biggest movie stars; opening in 1927, its prominent feature was a 68-foot tall Renaissance style tower.
Silent film star Fritzi Ridgeway's 100-room Hotel del Tahquitz was built in 1929, next to the "Fool's Folly" mansion built by Chicago heiress Lois Kellogg.
Golfing was available at the O'Donnell 9 hole course (1926) and the El Mirador (1929) course . Hollywood movie stars were attracted by the hot dry, sunny weather and seclusion – they built homes and estates in the Warm Sands, The Mesa, and Historic Tennis Club neighborhoods.
About 20,000 visitors came to the area in 1922.
Palm Springs became popular with movie stars in the 1930s and estate building expanded into the Movie Colony neighborhoods, Tahquitz River Estates, and Las Palmas neighborhoods. Actors Charles Farrell and Ralph Bellamy opened the Racquet Club in 1934 and Pearl McCallum opened the Tennis Club in 1937. Nightclubs were set up as well, with Al Wertheimer opening The Dunes outside of Palm Springs in 1934 and the Chi Chi nightclub opening in 1936.] Besides the gambling available at the Dunes Club, other casinos included The 139 Club and The Cove Club outside of the city. Southern California's first self-contained shopping center was established in Palm Springs as the Plaza Shopping Center in 1936.
courtesy of Palm Springs Life
Palm Springs Vacation Guide
coutesy of Expedia
His Influence on the Desert is still alive! God Bless Frank!
Courtesy of wiki
Desert Hot Springs, also known as DHS, is a city in Riverside County, California, United States. The city is located within the Coachella Valley geographic region, sometimes referred to as the Desert Empire. The population was 25,938 at the 2010 census, up from 16,582 at the 2000 census. The city has undergone rapid development and high population growth since the 1970s, when there were 2,700 residents.
It is named for its many natural hot springs.
It is one of few places in the world with naturally occurring hot- and cold mineral springs.[Desert Hot Springs is home to the largest collection of warm mineral springs in the United States. More than 20 natural mineral spring lodgings can be found in town. Unlike most hot springs, the mineral springs in town are odorless.
Courtesy of Wiki
The only people residing in areas north of Palm Springs prior to the 20th century was Cahuilla Indians in the village of Seven Palms.
Although Cahuilla people never settled permanently in today’s Desert Hot Springs, they often camped here during winter times due to the warm climate.
According to early homesteader and writer Cabot Yerxa in his newspaper columns published in The Desert Sentinel newspaper, the first homesteader in the area of the city of Desert Hot Springs was Hilda Maude Gray, who staked her claim in 1908. Cabot Yerxa arrived in 1913 and soon discovered the hot water aquifer on Miracle Hill. Due to the Mission Creek Branch of the San Andreas Fault bisecting the area, one side is a cold water aquifer, the other has a hot water aquifer. His large Pueblo Revival Style architecture structure, hand built over 20 years, is now one of the oldest adobe-style buildings in Riverside County, and houses Cabot's Pueblo Museum, designated a state historical site after his death in 1965. Cabot's Trading Post & Gallery opened there in February 2008.
The town was founded by L. W. Coffee on July 12, 1941. The original town site was centered at the intersection of Palm Drive and Pierson Boulevard and was only one square mile. Coffee chose the name Desert Hot Springs because of the area's natural hot springs.
1950s postcard promoting tourism
Desert Hot Springs became a tourist destination in the 1950s because of its small spa hotels and boutique hotels. The city is popular with "snowbirds."
Realtors arrived to speculate, and thousands of lots and streets were laid out over a six square mile area. Some homes were bought by retirees and the area incorporated as a city in 1963, with 1,000 residents.
Desert Hot Springs experienced periods of significant growth in the 1980s and 1990s, when most of the vacant lots were filled with new houses and duplex apartments. The city's population doubled in the 1980s and increased by 5,000 in the 2000 census.
In 1993, a 3-star hotel, Mirage Springs Hotel Resort opened in DHS. Despite good reviews and providing much needed financial revenue to DHS, Mirage Springs closed its doors in 1998. The business reopened as the Miracle Springs Resort and Spa.
Desert Hot Springs High School opened in 1999.
Desert Hot Springs was the first city in Southern California to legalize medical marijuana cultivation, and has since been overwhelmed by marijuana developers and growers. It was later featured in a CNBC special as California's first city to permit the commercial cultivation of marijuana in 2014.
courtesy of visit greater Palm Springs
Though home to its fair share of lush country clubs and exceptional hotels, Cathedral City shines as a haven for the arts. Thanks to a recent Public Arts Initiative, visitors can discover several works on display throughout the city, including the whimsical, mosaic-tiled Fountain of Life statue that proudly claims the heart of downtown. Feel free to splash around in the cooling waters … we won’t judge. Get to know local talent by attending a gallery opening on Perez Road, the city’s art and design district, or hunt for one-of-a-kind treasures and vintage furniture finds in the district’s eclectic warehouse-style shops.
Old Archway Entrance to Cat City
courtesy of Wiki
Cathedral City started a downtown revitalization program in the late 1990s, that was substantially completed by 2005. A new city hall was built, as were the IMAX/Mary Pickford movie theater complex, and a total of 130 acres (0.53 km2) of new or remodeled stores.
Depression era nightclubs
In 1931, Al and Lou Wertheimer of the reputed Detroit "Purple Gang" opened the Dunes Club just outside Palm Springs' city limits. This was followed in 1939 by Earl T. Sausser's 139 Club and the Cove Club in 1941, built by Jake Katelman and Frank Portnoy.
Cathedral City, colloquially known as "Cat City", is a city in Riverside County, California. Its population was 51,200 at the 2010 census. Located between Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage, it has the second largest population of the nine cities of Coachella Valley (Palm Springs area) in Southern California, after Indio.
The city's name derives from the "Cathedral Canyon" to the south of the town, so named in 1850 by Colonel Henry Washington because of its rock formations that are reminiscent of a cathedral. The city started as a housing subdivision in 1925, but it was not incorporated until 1981, and it has grown significantly in population since then.
One of the world's most technologically advanced cannabis greenhouses is being developed in Cathedral City by the company Sunniva. Once completed, this facility will be approximately 489,000 square feet and employ over 150 people.
The story of Frankie's Old World Biscotti begins in the hills of Calabria in 1592, with a sacred family recipe. Biscotti were part of a local wedding custom, and made with only the freshest black anisette, sun roasted almonds, stone ground flour, and other homegrown flavors. Priests blessed the dough before baking in a brick oven, a process that took three days. The result was biscotti softer in texture, and unlike those made commercially today. We are so happy to carry on our family's tradition and present our biscotti to you - they are made with love, heart, and the soul of Old Calabria.
In addition to the original biscotti, our bakery has grown, and we now produce and sell to the public a vast variety of cookies, pastries, cakes, and breads. In addition, we have a full lunch menu, inspired by Frankie’s Calabrese Nonna, and we offer dinner and professional entertainment on Thursday nights and most weekends. Join us for Open Mic on Thursday nights, Frankie's Fridays Piano Bar on Friday Nights, and Cabaret shows on some Saturdays.
Please see our calendar for upcoming events.
It is truly a pleasure to offer the community a place to enjoy wonderful baked goods, Italian cuisine and the finest entertainment. Please join us here at the happiest place in the valley.
Frankie and Luca
Frankie's Italian Bakery & Shows
Frank Sinatra and Cathedral City official
Frank Sinatra became the first honorary mayor of Cathedral City in 1967.
Frank and his buddies had a huge song fest to raise money to build the St. Louis Catholic Church, where his mother, Dollie attended church along with several other celebrities. The church is very distinctive with a large gold cross and sits between C and D streets in the Cathedral City Cove.
courtesy fof Wiki
Rancho Mirage is a city in Riverside County, California, United States. The population was 17,218 at the 2010 census, up from 13,249 at the 2000 census, but the seasonal (part-time) population can exceed 20,000. Located between Cathedral City and Palm Desert, it is one of the nine cities of the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs area). Rancho Mirage was incorporated in 1973 from a merger of Mirage Cove with five unincorporated areas known as the "Cove communities" (Desert, Magnesia, Palmas, Tamarisk, and Thunderbird), and had 3,000 permanent residents at the time.
courtesy of Wiki
Although the first modern settlements date back to the 1920s and 1930s, Rancho Mirage got its claim to fame after World War II. The Annenberg Estate or Sunnylands, owned by philanthropists Walter and Leonore Annenberg, had long been popular with the wealthy and powerful, including Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Patrick Macnee and Mary Martin. Several United States Presidents have vacationed at the Annenberg estate, including Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and Gerald Ford. President Ford later bought a house in Rancho Mirage and was living there at the time of his death in 2006. The Betty Ford Center, a world-renowned addiction rehabilitation center, is located in Rancho Mirage at the Eisenhower Medical Center. President Barack Obama has also used Sunnylands for summit meetings with world leaders during his administration.
Rancho Mirage has thirteen golf courses, also known as country clubs or golf resorts. The city's first resort was the Thunderbird Guest Ranch, opened in 1946 for entertainers and business clientele. Other golf resorts are The S at Rancho Mirage, Tamarisk, Mission Hills, Thunderbird, The Springs, Sunrise, Omni Resorts Rancho Las Palmas hotel (opened in 1979 to replace the Desert Air golf and private airport from 1954–1978), Morningside, Mission Hills North Course, Westin Hotels Mission Hills resort, and Tuscania by Sunrise Company opened in 2006.
The Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians of Palm Springs runs the Agua Caliente Casino on the intersection of Bob Hope Drive and Ramon Road off Interstate 10, opened in 2002. The casino is a popular destination for locals, tourists, and gambling enthusiasts. In 2008 the tribal board completed the expansion of the Agua Caliente resort, which includes a 16-story hotel and spa, as well as remodeling the casino and expanding the parking structures. A theater for top name entertainers opened in 2009. Though the Agua Caliente Resort and Casino was just outside the border of Rancho Mirage in an unincorporated area, the City of Rancho Mirage included the property as part of the city in an agreement with the tribe so they would have access to police and firefighting services.
Rancho Mirage has expanded its economy from one based on seasonal, resort-based golfing and low-paying rentals, to include light industry and commerce near the I-10 and high-end retail centers like The River shopping complex.
courtesy of Palm Springs Life Mag
Enjoy abundant sunshine in our retirement community in Rancho Mirage, California, from Del Webb. Our active adult community provides a fulfilling lifestyle with amenities, activities, and clubs to help you stay connected. Rancho Mirage is just outside Palm Springs in the heart of Coachella Valley and offers access to over 200 golf courses and world-class shopping and dining. After enjoying a game of golf or tennis, relax in one of our energy-efficient new homes in Rancho Mirage.
Courtesy of Palm Springs Life
“The River at Rancho Mirage is like no other place in the Coachella Valley. No matter what age you are, when your family gets together and there’s 10 of you — maybe grandma, a niece, an uncle or two, a sister, small children, it doesn’t matter. The River is a gathering place for all ages and lifestyles,” says Tammy Perezchica-Pshebylo, public relations coordinator for the complex. Maybe a movie at Century Theatres — now boasting luxury lounger recliners and new lobby features — fits the bill. Or an interactive adventure at soon-to-expand Escape Games at The River. Rest assured, there’s something for everyone.
Sunnylands, the former Annenberg Estate, located in Rancho Mirage, California, is a 200-acre (0.81 km2) estate currently run by The Annenberg Foundation Trust at Sunnylands, a not-for-profit organization. The property was owned by Walter and Leonore Annenberg until 2009 and had been used as a winter retreat by the couple from 1966, when the house was completed. The property is "rich with historical significance," according to the city of Rancho Mirage, which declared Sunnylands an historic site in 1990.
Located at Frank Sinatra and Bob Hope Drives, the property has been the vacation site of numerous celebrities and public officials. Sunnylands is to some extent regarded as the "Camp David of the West."
Bighorn CC, Palm Desert
Courtesy of Wiki ...
Palm Desert is a city in California's Coachella Valley, near Palm Springs. It’s home to country clubs, golf courses and shops. In the center, The Shops on El Paseo feature designer boutiques, plus restaurants and art galleries. The Living Desert Zoo & Gardens shelters desert-dwelling wildlife, including cheetahs and camels, from around the world. Shows at the McCallum Theatre span music, comedy, dance and drama.
courtesy of wiki
The area was first known as the Old MacDonald Ranch, but the name changed to Palm Village in the 1920s when date palms were planted. Local historians said the main residents of pre-1950 Palm Desert were Cahuilla Indian farmers of the now extinct San Cayetano tribe, but a few members of the Montoya family of Cahuilla/Spanish descent were prominent leaders in civic life.
The first residential development occurred in 1943 in connection with an Army maintenance camp in the area. That site was later developed into "El Paseo", an upscale shopping district not unlike Rodeo Drive. In 1948, the Palm Desert Corporation began to develop real estate, and in 1951 the area was given its present name.
The first golf course developed within the City of Palm Desert was Shadow Mountain that was built in 1952 followed by Marrakesh a couple years later. By the late 1970’s and 1980’s there were approximately 30 golf courses within the City making it the “Golf Capital of the World.”
Desert Willow Golf Resort is one of the most popular golf clubs in the Coachella Valley. It is a public facility that has two championship golf courses, The Firecliff and The Mountain View. Desert Willow Golf Resort is owned by the City of Palm Desert and carries a 4.5 star rating as one of the “Best Places to Play” by Golf Digest Magazine.
If you play golf and plan to visit Palm Desert, visit e http://www.desertcaddie.com for a map of golf resorts and clubs in the area, reviews and golf specials
Read more: https://www.desertusa.com
The Living Desert was established in 1970 by several trustees of the Palm Springs Desert Museum who foresaw the impact that resort development would have on their local desert ecosystem. This foresight led to an interpretive nature trail and preserve in Palm Desert. Among the trustees was Philip L. Boyd who also founded the Riverside campus of the University of California and the Deep Canyon Research Station in Palm Desert. Among his first tasks was to hire a resident naturalist. This person turned out to be a young woman with energy, intelligence and ambition, as well as experience as a zoo keeper and park ranger, plus graduate work in wildlife biology.
Karen Sausman was President and CEO of The Living Desert for forty years. The vision that built The Living Desert and the love of the desert shared by Phillip Boyd, Karen Sausman, our members, volunteers, staff, trustees, and friends, will be carried forward by our current President/CEO, Allen Monroe.
For nearly five decades, The Living Desert has been engaged in the important work of preserving, conserving and interpreting the desert and all its varied plant and animal life. Even as we take immense pride in our accomplishments over the last 45+ years, we remain as dedicated as ever to the goals that initially inspired us when we first began operations in March of 1970.
Where Swankie meets Swank
great restaurants and shops
Top 10 Things to do in Palm Desert
Courtesy of Wiki
Indian Wells is a city in Riverside County, California, in the Coachella Valley. Incorporated in 1967, it lies in between Palm Desert and the resort town of La Quinta. As of July 1, 2017, the estimated city population was 5,404.
Indian Wells Tennis Garden
The city hosts the sixth-largest tennis tournament in the world, the Indian Wells Masters tennis tournament, presently known as the BNP Paribas Open. The Indian Wells Masters is one of nine ATP World Tour Masters 1000 high-level events operated by the Association of Tennis Professionals, and one of the four WTA Premier Mandatory tournaments of the Women's Tennis Association. It is held at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, which contains the second-largest tennis-specific stadium in the world.
Erawan Garden Hotel 1960's
As early as 1853, the area now known as Indian Wells was the site of a thriving Indian village, as reported by W.P. Blade, a Smithsonian Institution geologist. A decade later, when gold was discovered on the Colorado River, William D. Bradshaw built a trail from Los Angeles through the desert to the gold mines. The Alexander and Company Stage Line used the trail to transport prospectors and Indian Wells became an important stop along the trail. Competition from the Southern Pacific Railroad caused the route to be abandoned briefly in 1875 before being reactivated by the Wells Fargo Company the following year.
Over the next decades, settlers gradually arrived in the area and date palm ranches became profitable. The area's first golf courses were opened in the 1950s at the Eldorado Country Club and the Indian Wells Country Club. In 1957, Desi Arnaz opened his Indian Wells Hotel (forerunner to the Indian Wells Resort Hotel). In 1960, Arnold Palmer won the first Bob Hope Desert Classic golf tournament. President Dwight D. Eisenhower was a regular Indian Wells visitor and later an Eldorado homeowner.
In an election held June 27, 1967, to avoid being annexed by neighboring cities such as Palm Desert, the inhabitants of Indian Wells voted to incorporate as a city. On July 14, 1967, Indian Wells became California's 400th city and the 16th in Riverside County. Since then, Indian Wells has continued to grow, with the development of resort hotels, golf courses and luxury residential areas.
When in Indian Wells be sure to
dine at Vicky's of Santa Fe
Great Food / Great Entertainment too
A legendary Bar Restaurant
No Visit to Indian Wells is complete a visit to The Nest
Great Pool !
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
courtesy of Wiki
La Quinta is a resort city in Riverside County, California, United States, specifically in the Coachella Valley between Indian Wells and Indio. The population was 37,467 at the 2010 census, up from 23,694 at the 2000 census. The Robb Report credits La Quinta as the leading golf destination in the US. Among those destinations is the La Quinta Resort and Club, a resort dating to 1926, where director Frank Capra wrote the screenplay for Lost Horizon. The Tom Fazio-designed golf course at The Quarry at La Quinta is ranked among the top 100 golf courses in the United States.[In January 2008, the Arnold Palmer Classic Course at the city's SilverRock Golf Resort became one of the four host golf courses for the annual Bob Hope Chrysler Classic PGA golf tournament
Courtesy of Wiki
In the late-19th century and early-20th century (1880–1920), agriculture developed in present-day La Quinta and "East Valley" by pre-modern (mountain water runoff or open water springs) and modern irrigation techniques. At the time, California and federal land surveyors declared the sand dunes uninhabitable, only the hard rock ground of the "Marshall Cove" held potential farming and residential development.
In 1926, Walter Morgan established the La Quinta Resort at the northern section of Marshall Cove as a type of secluded hideaway for nearby Hollywood's celebrities and socialites. The Resort was the site for the Coachella Valley's first golf course, coinciding with the construction and pavement of State Route 111 in the 1930s. Further expansion of Washington Street in the 1950s and 1960s connected La Quinta with US Highways 60 and 99 (became Interstate 10 in the 1970s).
As nearby desert cities grew to capacity, La Quinta's growth rose dramatically by the mid-1980s, which led to its incorporation as a city in Riverside County in 1982.
In the 1980 census, La Quinta had 4,200 residents, then increased to 11,215 by 1990 in the city's early phases of residential area growth. It was predominantly a part-time community until around that time.
OLD TOWN LA QUINTA
Old Town was inspired by one man’s dream. After traveling throughout Europe and living in small coastal towns in Northern California, developer Wells Marvin moved to La Quinta with his family in 1997 to develop new homes. They brought with them a love of art and the California Renaissance architecture that defines the beauty of Santa Barbara, Carmel and the historic La Quinta Hotel and Resort.
With a commitment to the best of California craftsmanship and lifestyle, Wells spent seven years building Old Town. He created what has become La Quinta’s Main Street, a gathering place that reflects the romance and ambience of the promise that first inspired it.
Today, the City of Indio is currently the largest and fastest growing city in Riverside County’s Coachella Valley with over 89,000 residents. Nearly 1.4 million people visit the “City of Festivals” every year to attend its world famous arts, food, and music festivals such as the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival and Stagecoach Country Music Festival. These are some of the reasons why Indio is ranked as one of the top emerging travel destinations in the country.
With nationally recognized public safety services, exceptional schools, great parks and senior and teen centers, no wonder it is ranked as one of the best places to live for young families with over 3,000 new housing units in construction or being planned throughout the city in addition to new hotels, restaurants and retailers. People who visit tend to stay here once they experience Indio’s temperate winter climate, high quality of life, art and cultural offerings, unique restaurants and shops, diversity, and outstanding municipal services.
For more history about Indio and the Coachella Valley, go to the Coachella Valley History Museum.
Courtesy of Wiki
Railroad line construction east out of Los Angeles began in 1873. Trains were operated to Colton on July 16, 1875, and to Indio (then Indian Wells) on May 29, 1876. Moving on eastward from Indio, the railroad reached the west bank of the Colorado River opposite Yuma on May 23, 1877 (a village known as Arizona City prior to 1873). There was delay in getting military authority to lay tracks across the Yuma Indian reservation, and it was September that year before the bridge was completed so trains could operate into Yuma. The Southern Pacific Railroad was to have joined those of the Texas & Pacific, one of several railroads then holding, or seeking, federal authority to build lines from various sections of the country west to the Pacific Coast. But the rail-head of the T & P was at a standstill far off in Texas, so Southern Pacific continued building eastward.
The City of Indio came about because of the need of a halfway point for the Southern Pacific Railroad between Yuma, Arizona and Los Angeles, since the engines needed to be refilled with water. At first, the would-be city was called Indian Wells, but since many other areas already had that name, Indio (after a Spanish variation of the word "Indian") was chosen instead. After the railroad's arrival in 1876, Indio really started to grow. The first permanent building was the craftsman-style Southern Pacific Depot station and hotel. Southern Pacific tried to make life as comfortable as it could for their workers in order to keep them from leaving such a difficult area to live in at the time. It was at the center of all social life in the desert with a fancy dining room and hosting dances on Friday nights.
Farm Fresh Dates and More!
Empire Polo Club, Indio CA
"Best kept secret for Golf in Indio"
- Gum Gummy
Good Luck on Hole #2 - Bring your A game
Indian Springs 3 Bedroom 3 Bath
November - March ( Furnished )
Minimum 30 Day Rental $3000 month
Courtesy of Greater Palm Springs
"Color comes alive in the City of Eternal Sunshine, whose rich Mexican heritage shines through in community events like Día de los Muertos and authentic cuisine you won’t find anywhere else in Greater Palm Springs. The tacos at El Tranvia Restaurant, owned by Oscar Ventura, whose grandparents once sold tacos out of a pushcart in their native Zamora, Mexico, will change your life. Sample other outstanding tortilla-filled treats and sip on a Coachavela (beer, tomato juice, and Tabasco over ice) at the Tacos, Tequila, and Chavelas Festival. Die-hard foodies can even book an agritour to get an up-close look at the fields of brightly hued fruits and vegetables that surround the city. Learn how growers cultivate their crops, many of which end up on your plate at some of Greater Palm Springs’ finest restaurants."
Courtesy of Wiki
The city was founded as Woodspur in 1876, when the Southern Pacific Railroad built a rail siding on the site. In the 1880s the indigenous Cahuilla tribe sold their land plots to the railroads for new lands east of the current town site, and in the 1890s, a few hundred traqueros took up settlement along the tracks. In 1901 the citizens of Woodspur voted on a new name for their community and at a town hall meeting, the homeowners settled on "Coachella".
The origin of the name Coachella is unclear. Some locals believe it was a misspelling of Conchilla, a Spanish word for the small white snail shells found in the valley's sandy soil, vestiges of a lake which dried up over 3,000 years ago.
Coachella began as a 2.5-square-mile (6.5 km2) territory gridded out on the mesquite-covered desert floor. Not until the 1950s did Coachella begin to expand into its present range, about 32 square miles (83 km2), an area which contained large year-round agricultural corporate farms and fruit groves, particularly of citrus (lemons, oranges, grapefruit) and date palms.
Coachella became a city in 1946. During the incorporation voting process, the first city council was tentatively elected: Lester C. Cox, T. E. Reyes, John W. Westerfield, Lester True, and Paul S. Atkinson. Also elected on November 26, 1946, were City Clerk Marie L. Johnson and City Treasurer John C. Skene. John Westerfield was appointed mayor at the first meeting.
By the 1980 census, Coachella's population had reached at least 10,000 due to relative slow population growth. Due to a high percentage of Hispanics in the city, Coachella was a scene of Chicano political activism including protests and visits by United Farm Workers leader César Chávez in the 1960s and 1970s.
A series presented by California Watch